Miske Schoolhouse Commemoration
19/08/2006

On August 19, 2006 we visited the site where the Miske schoohouse once stood. The schoohouse, which was destroyed by the Israel Land Adminsitration in July 2006, was the last remnant of the village (except the mosque) which was destroyed in 1952, after its residents were expelled.

After the destruction of the village, the land was planted over with trees as an act of "making the desert bloom." Almost 60 years later, the same action was repeated when, immediately after the destruction of the school, saplings were planted in its place. Over the past five years Zochrot has held numerous activities in this place and a special connection has grown with the displaced residents of the village, who reside today in Tira. We gathered at the site to commemorate the schoohouse and express our sadness at the sight of the empty land. We marked the outlines of the building using the bits of stone that remained and we posted signs bearing the names of children who once attended the school. 



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (3)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (5)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (4)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (6)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (8)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (7)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (9)



Remembering Miske Schoolhouse 2006 (10)

Zochrot online