'Ajjur was located 24 kilometers northwest from Hebron. It was spread over a hilly area in the western foothills of the Hebron Mountains. 'Ajjur was linked by a secondary road to the highway between Bayt Jibrin and the Jerusalem-Jaffa highway.
In coordination with Operation Yo'av, launched in October 1948 to occupy the southern coastal strip, the Israeli army's Giv'ati Brigade operated further north, occupying some villages in the Hebron District. 'Ajjur was one of those occupied by the Fourth Battalion of the brigade, on 23 October, according to the History of the War of Independence. That account states that with the occupation of this village, operation in the southern and central fronts were unified. Israeli historian Benny Morris writes that most of the population of 'Ajjur and neighboring villages fled before the occupation, but that those who remained where expelled. Morris also indicates that there was another military assault on 'Ajjur on 23-24 July 1948, which was the primary cause of depopulation.
Five Israeli settlements have been established on village lands. 'Agur was built close to the village site in 1950. The settlement of Tzafririm, established in 1958, and Li-'On, established in 1960, are southeast of the site. The settlement of Giv'at Yeh'ayahu, established in 1958, is close to the border between 'Ajjur's lands and the lands of Zakariyya, while the settlement of Tirosh, established in 1955, is to the northwest.
Only three houses remain; two are deserted and one has been turned into a warehouse. One of the deserted houses is a two-storey stone structure that has a large, triple arched front porch. Cactuses and eucalyptus, almond, and carob trees – interspersed with truncated stone walls and rubble – grow on the site. The site itself is fenced and used for grazing. The surrounding land has been taken over by the settlement of 'Agur.
No related videos