Camp No. 1 was established in 1950 and borders the Nablus municipality. It was the first camp established in the Nablus area and was thus named Camp No. 1. Because the camp previously received water from a nearby spring, it is also known as Ein Beit el-Ma’ or ‘Spring of the House of Water’.
The camp is located on the main road between Nablus and Tulkarm, a road that is often utilized by Israeli security forces (ISF). ISF incursions in the camp are not uncommon and frequently result in arrests, as well as damage to shelters. In 2014, one adult was killed in an ISF-related incident.
Camp No. 1 is today one of the smallest camps in the West Bank. However, with nearly 7,500 registered persons in the camp, Camp No. 1 is also the West Bank’s most densely populated camp.
Overcrowding has led to a lack of living and recreational space, which negatively affects residents’ mental and physical health.
Camp No. 1 has a very active civil society with numerous community-based organizations (CBOs) in the camp.