Population 1948: 360
Occupation date: 01/05/1948
Occupying unit: Palmah 1st battalion
Jewish settlements on village/town land before 1948: None
Jewish settlements on village/town land after 1948: None
Dirbashiyya Before 1948
The village was located on the lower slopes of the Golan Heights next to the Syrian border, and overlooked the al-Hula Plain, to the west. The lands west of the village were mostly marshland, with a few palm trees, while those to the south were partly wooded. The village was oriented from north to south and its houses were dispersed across the site in no particular pattern. Although al-Dirbashiyya was small—it was classified as a hamlet by the Palestine Index Gazetteer—it hail some shops, and during the Mandate, the British built a police station there. Its entire population was Muslim. A shrine named after a Muslim sage, al-Samadi, was located between the village and Lake al-Hula. Agriculture was the main economic activity. Most of the villagers’ income came from vegetables, which matured early in the region’s relatively warm climate. In 1944/45 a total of 2,763 dunums was irrigated or used for orchards.
Occupation and Depopulation
Little is known about the occupation of this village, except that it was captured during Operation Yiftach some time in May 1948 (see Abil al-Qamh, Safad District). Because it was somewhat isolated, the village may not have been captured until the last week of May.
Israeli Settlements on Village Lands
There are no Israeli settlements on village land.
The Village Today
The rubble of destroyed houses is scattered across the village site. The site also contains a segment of a cement-lined irrigation canal, and the remains of terraces in some fields. The village lands, which are used mainly as pastures, are covered with grass, cactus plants, and Christ’s-thorn and eucalyptus trees.
Source: al-Khalidi, Walid (ed.). All that remains: the Palestinian villages occupied and depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington DC: 1992.