Population Size: 5,062
Established date: 1954
The Mieh Mieh camp, 4km east of Sidon, was established in 1954.
Refugees in Mieh Mieh generally came from Saffourieh, Tiereh, Haifa and Miron in Palestine.
The camp suffered considerable damage during the years of civil conflict, particularly in July 1991 when 15 per cent of its shelters were destroyed, along with UNRWA's school and distribution centre.
The socio-economic situation of the refugees is extremely difficult. Men find work as casual labourers in construction sites and in orchards. Women work in orchards, in embroidery workshops and as cleaners.
The water and sewerage systems were recently rehabilitated, and all shelters are now supplied with water through a network connected to UNRWA’s water plant. However, due to frequent water shortages, another well is needed.