Population Size: 10,000
Established date: 1955
Latakia camp is an "unofficial" camp located within the city boundaries of Latakia on the Mediterranean coast.
The camp was established in 1955-1956 on an area of 0.22 square kilometres. Most of the refugees originally came from the city of Jaffa and villages in northern Palestine.
Fishing provides a small income for many refugees. They occasionally work as casual labourers in the port. Seasonal employment in the tourism sector is also common.
High humidity and erosion due to the camp's proximity to the sea have made most shelters in need of rehabilitation. UNRWA's main priority in the camp is to improve the condition of refugee shelters.
The information included here predates the start of the conflict in Syria in March 2011. For more up-to-date information, please visit the Syria crisis page.