District: Tiberias

Population 1948: 370

Occupation date: 17/07/1948

Occupying unit: 7th brigade

Jewish settlements on village/town land before 1948: None

Jewish settlements on village/town land after 1948: None


Nimrin before 1948
Nimrin was located 10,5km from the city of Tiberias, on the saddle between two hills to the northwest and southeast.

In the Roman times it was a settlement of priests known as Kefar Nimra. In the nineteenth century, it was described as a stone-built village on the slope of a hill. The houses were made from stone, cement, mud or concrete with roofs of wood or reefs and covered with mud. During the Ottoman period, an elementary school for boys was founded, but was later closed during the British Mandate. Nimrin was built on the remains of a Roman site, evidence shown in the rock-cut presses, tombs and the remains of cisterns.

In 1944-45, the village consisted of 320 inhabitants, all of which were Muslim. The main economic pursuits was through agriculture and livestock, with grain being the most important crop. A total of 7,905 dunums was allocated to cereals and 335 dunums irrigated or for orchards. Furthermore, 300 dunums was used for fruit-bearing olive trees. The village had one olive press.

Occupation and depopulation
Nimrin’s fate was most probably the same as the fate of Hittin and Lubya. It fell in the end of Operation Dekel. The Israeli Historian, Benny Morris, indicates that the village fell on the 16th or 17th of July 1948 towards the end of the Ten Days, which seperated the two truces of the war. It is to this day not clear what made the villagers leave.

Israeli Settlements on village lands
In 1949, the settlement of Achuzzat Naftali was built on the village land.

The village today
Today, the site and a large part of the land is surrounded by a fence.
Source: al-Khalidi, Walid (ed.). All that remains: the Palestinian villages occupied and depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington DC: 1992.