al-Jalama (Haifa)
District: Haifa
Occupation date: 05/05/1948
Occupying unit: Carmeli brigade
Jewish settlements on village\town land before 1948: None
Jewish settlements on population center of the village\town after 1948: Military Base
Other sites built on the population center of the village\town after 1948: None
Other sites built on village\town land after 1948: Mount Carmel National Park

Al-Jalama Before 1948
The village was situated at the northern foot of Mount Carmel, about 2 km east of the Arab town of 'Isfiya and 14 km from Haifa. The Haifa-Nazareth highway passed about 100 m to the north of it. Just below al-Jalama was Khirbat 'Asafna, where the village had been located in earlier times. Excavations from 1964 to 1971, the interest of which was the glass factory there, revealed that the site had been occupied intermittently from the first to the fourth century A.D.

Occupation, Depopulation, and Israeli Settlements
Most villages in the vicinity of al-Jalama were captured immediately before or shortly after the fall of Haifa. According to the History of the Haganah, in the instructions to the Haganah brigades contained in Plan Dalet, the Carmeli Brigade was assigned the task of controlling the road between Haifa and al-Jalama. This probably occurred in the last week of April and early in May 1948, when Zionist forces occupied a cluster of villages in Haifa's hinterland, such as Balad al-Shaykh. The inhabitants may have been driven out at this time.
There are no Israeli settlements on village land.

The Village Today
A military camp occupies the area, which is covered by eucalyptus trees.
------------------------

Source: al-Khalidi, Walid (ed.). All that remains: the Palestinian villages occupied and depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington DC: 1992.

Zochrot online