The village stood on a rocky hill and overlooked the village of Tarbikha. It faced the nearby village of al-Nabi Rubin, and like al-Nabi Rubin it was a satellite village of Tarbikha. It was located 28.5 km northeast of Acre.
Suruh was one of the first communities to be expelled during the Israeli army's campaign to “clear” the northern border with Lebanon. In the second week of November 1948, as the main battles of the war were winding down, Israeli forces swept through several of this villages. It is not clear from Israeli historian Benny Morris' account whether the villagers were forced to cross into Lebanon (as were most neighboring villagers) or whether they were trucked to another location within Israeli-held territory (as was the case with the remainder). For weeks after the “clearing” campaign was completed, the Israeli army periodically raided these villages to make sure that villagers had not returned to their homes. However, Morris does not indicate what eventually became of the village and its inhabitants.
The settlement of Shomera was established on part of the village site in 1949. Even Menachem, established in 1960, is very close to the village site. Kefar Rosenwald, established in 1967, and Shetula, founded in 1969, are located on village lands.
Only rubble, trees, cactuses, shrubs, and weeds are visible. Most of the site is used for grazing.